Friday, March 11

My Editor's New Book



Today is the release day of my editor Cheryl Klein's book SECOND SIGHT:  AN EDITOR'S TALKS ON WRITING, REVISING & PUBLISHING BOOKS FOR CHILDREN AND YOUNG ADULTS



From the website for SECOND SIGHT


Whether you dream of writing a book for children or young adults, or you want to take a finished manuscript to the next level, it always helps to get a fresh point of view. Try a little Second Sight.
In this collection of talks, a professional editor offers insights from the other side of the publishing desk on a wide range of writerly topics:
+ Terrific first lines and how they got that way
+ What makes a strong picture book manuscript
+ Why the Harry Potter series was such a tremendous success
+ Finding the emotional heart of your story
Worksheets and checklists for building characters and bolstering plot
+ The Annotated Query Letter from Hell
+ And an Annotated Query Letter That Does It Right
With its wit, intelligence, and practical tools for analyzing and revising your work, Second Sight will be a first resource for writers of children’s and young adult fiction.

Cheryl has what can only be described as a stellar reputation in the publishing world, and more than once, when I've told another writer or aspiring writer that she is my editor, the response has been,  "You are so lucky.  I would love to work with Cheryl Klein."  Naturally, of course, I was completely intimidated by her reputation when I began working with her, but I quickly discovered she has the loveliest combination of qualities -- a unique balance of brilliance, approachability, humor and talent -- and I soon found myself saying,  "I am so lucky.  I love to work with Cheryl Klein."  And when she said she was writing a book, I knew I wanted a copy before I knew what the topic was.  Fortunately, it's not about lima beans.  (See my post Personal Dictionary K-O)  But even if it had been, Cheryl would have made it warm and wonderful in a way only she can.
My copy is fast on its way from My Book Orders, and when it arrives -- after I read it -- it will go on the shelf where I keep books by authors I know, books I show off to friends at parties here as my own version of,  "I'm with the band."  
I was never with the band, but I think this is much cooler.

No comments:

Post a Comment