Tuesday, February 22

My Own Personal Dictionary: F-J

F
frumpiness: "Cured of frumpiness by a psychiatrist . . ." So begins the description of the 1942 movie Now Voyager, which my husband and I watched eight or nine years ago. It doesn't rank among our favorites, and viewed through modern sensibilities, it's just plain odd, but "cured of frumpiness by a psychiatrist" cracked us up then, and it cracks us up now. Frumpiness -- the leading cause of admissions to psych wards in the 1930s and 40s. Who knew? Bunch of plain women shuffling grimly up and down the halls, in pleated skirts, high-collar blouses and beige, soft-soled shoes.

G
George Washington:
"He was the father of our country,
leader of a brand new nation,
and he believed in liberty."
Am I the only person in the world who remembers this song from elementary school?

H
hair: I wear it short, pixie short, for a bunch of reasons, but the predominant reason is my grandfather. He liked it short, and I trusted him more than anyone else in the world.

I
Indian restaurant: a place where my husband and I met.

J
J. Crew: the clothing store that keeps me from going out naked at least three times a week, because, clearly, the choice is J. Crew or nudity.

2 comments:

  1. So far J is my favorite. Love this. My sister says the same about Kohls. I will take the challenge of the personal alphabet!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y
    yea: an interjection, an expression of excitement as in the following sentence:

    Yea, Jody! I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete